Sie sind vermutlich noch nicht im Forum angemeldet - Klicken Sie hier um sich kostenlos anzumelden Impressum 
Sie können sich hier anmelden
Dieses Thema hat 12 Antworten
und wurde 1.667 mal aufgerufen
 Boote | Technik | Outfitting | Ausrüstung Sortierung: Alte Beiträge zuerst  
Arby
B-Nutzer

08.04.2013 16:55
Hiko Salty Dog or Palm Amp? antworten

Ich bin sehr zu den Taschen und ihrer Konfiguration auf dem Salzigen Hund angezogen. Aber in der Folgenden Verbindung, war die Klage, dass es zu hoch nach oben nahe am Kinn (offensichtlich in den Fotos) gefahren ist. http://www.expemag.com/canoe-kayak/gile... Y-Hund. Html Die Salzig Hund anschaut ein bisschen verschieden als das einer auf der Hiko Website. ...so vielleicht es ist eine frühere Version. Jemand weiß, wenn es ein neueres einer gibt, der repariert worden ist?

Auch wie um die Qualität?

Der einzig ander BA, der aussieht, wie es mir anpassen wird, ist die Handfläche Ampere.

Ich habe einen PeakUK Fluss Führer jetzt. Kann jemand an wie entweder die Hiko oder die Handflächen passen hat verglichen zu dies einer kommentieren?

Irgendein Einblick würde geschätzt werden. Dank.

Mahyongg
Schwimmkopf

08.04.2013 17:16
RE: Hiko Salty Dog or Palm Amp? antworten

Uups.. das ist ja eine witzige Übersetzung. Englisch oder diverse andere Sprachen werden hier auch verstanden, vielleicht versuchst Du es noch mal damit? Zu den Fragen kann ich nichts direktes sagen, nur dass ich von Palm mehr und besseres gehört habe als von Hiko, aber die Modelle kenne ich beide nicht, PEak UK auch nicht..

Gruss

Jan

--
The hole is more than the sum of its parts.

Arby
B-Nutzer

08.04.2013 19:26

Sorry about that. :-) Wasn't sure if I should translate or not. Anyhow, below is my question in English:

I'm very attracted to the pockets and their configuration on the Salty Dog. However, in the following link, the complaint was that it rode too high up near the chin (obvious in the photos). http://www.expemag.com/canoe-kayak/gile ... y-dog.html That Salty Dog does look a bit different than the one on the Hiko website....so maybe it's an earlier version. Anyone know if there is a newer one that has been fixed?

Also, how about the quality?

The only other BA that looks like it will suit me is the Palm Amp.

I have a PeakUK River Guide now. Can anyone comment on how either the Hiko or Palm fit compared to this one?

Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

Mahyongg
Schwimmkopf

09.04.2013 10:25

Hi,

do you paddle a canoe or Kayak? Riding up to the chin would obviously depend on your upper body lenght and the kayak you're using (not gonna happen in a canoe.. so). I would recommend to just try it out with what you have. Since you seem to be in the EU, you can just order it and test it with your other gear for fit, then end it back if it doesn't fit your needs.
I liked the quality of the Palm AMP btw, I just had one in my hands. It's got very nice materials especially for the belts (car safety belt stlye, probably longer lasting than the rougher usual gear webbing) and a great construction. If you tel us what you're gonna use it for, we might be able to give more advice.. but if you're small, you might want to check the Green Jacket because its VERY adjustable.

--

Arby
B-Nutzer

09.04.2013 17:52

Thanks for the reply. I'm a kayaker, from the USA (please don't hold that against me:-)). So, I can't try these PFDs on...and I don't care to be sending back if they don't fit.

Been yaking for 2 decades so have experience with lots of PFDs. Most recently, the Stohlquist Wedge and PeakUK River Guide. I like the fit of both. The Green Jacket is the PFD "to have" here in the States....but it has way too many straps and complexities for my taste.

I believe I'll write off the Salty Dog and just get the AMP...though I just discovered the Artistic Orco Pro which looks really nice too! Pricey though.

Mahyongg
Schwimmkopf

09.04.2013 18:03

That explains one thing or another ;D Not holding it against you. We've just been over there for ALF (Ain't Louiefest, down around the Knoxville area TN if you haven't heard of it..), awesome paddling to be had and a lot of good folks. I hear US citizens keep getting shit for what their government fucks up worldwide, well I guess thats hard to avoid. But we're talking WW here, not politics and we're all the same in front of the river, right? Even you buttboaters ;D

Well,back to topic - IMHO you can hardly go wrong with Palm, they're good value and really nice & clean. Agreed, the Green Jacket has a lot of straps.. I never saw that as a problem really because they're well out of the way when wearing it and adjustability does ask for some straps, in the end. Saw a lot of Green Jackets down there, too, but its Astral Home Country after all. I have yet to see a more well-thought out vest though. That said, the Palms definitely come close.. and they ARE cleaner ;D

Stay away from Artistic though, their quality really is crappy in comparison.

--

Arby
B-Nutzer

09.04.2013 18:23

Yeah, at times, I'm embarrassed to be American. I can't believe what has become of us. But here I am.

Anyway, yes, am aware of ALF. I'm on the western side of the country though. Thanks for the info on the Artistic. I am surprised though. Quality is something that many have come to expect out of Germany. Great looking PFD, nonetheless.

The_Great_Gonzo
Brother

09.04.2013 18:47

Arby,
I have never used either jacket, but I have looked at the Palm AMP and , for my liking , the pocket design was a deal breaker. I work as a guide and I always have my basic rescue gear to set up a Z-Drag (throw bag, 4 locking biners, 3 pulleys, 2 prussiks and 1 16 ft long piece of tubular webbing) right on my body. With the AMP i found that all this does not really fit the pocket and that the pocket protrusion is a hindrance, particularly when guiding rafts it tends to get hung up on the perimeter line.
I read the report inn the French magazine and , apart from the PFD riding up on the chin, it seemed to be an interesting and, particularly as far as pocket design and distribution is concerned, very innovative. I look closer at it myself. As far as I can tell the riding up on the chin seems to be affected as well by torso length and by how deep one sits in the boat. Not all kayaks are equal that way. I checked out Hiko's website, and they do indeed have a rep in the States, may be worth to get in touch with him to see if he's got one. http://www.hikosport.com/trade-partners/?idpk=33
As far as the Green Jacket is concerned, if pockets are your main concern, it is still the best one out there IMHO, as far as carrying space and low profile are concerned. While the design of the side pockets is fairly poor, they still allow me to carry my pulleys and prussiks in there, leaving the space in the front pocket for the more commomly needed biners. I don't know where the conceen about straps comes from, just about every PFD I know has 3 adjustments straps per side for width and 2 for length, as does the Astral.
If you are looking for a PFD with a big yet fairly low profile front pocket you might want to check out the Salus Torrent. http://www.salusmarine.com/product/torrent.html I like the design of it, but at least 2-3 years ago the materials and manufacturing quality was not yet up to Astral standards. While an Astral lasts at least 2-3 seasons in professional every day guiding use, the Salus PFD's were barely lasting one season. But I have friends who are recreational users and have had theirs for several years.

TGG!

Mahyongg
Schwimmkopf

09.04.2013 19:06

We'll see where the US go next, I just hope it's a path that I'd be willing to share - especially for my friends over there. But looking at the supermarket shelves in TN, it seems like it's a long, hard road for many people and that will not go without paying a price.. well they're actually already paying, but probably the wrong people paying it?

Regarding Artistic, they are a typical example of one of the comanies that invest into looks & features that look good (when new) but save on the most important parts, like fabrics & execution that are expensive, but make (or break) a long-lasting product. It may look good on the shelves, but in a couple years, you'll be wearing something else, hopefully not their product if it were me. Obviously, that is not a sustainable business model, but it takes a long time to fuck up a market - and some of their products may be good, I have not tested or seen them all obviously.

And while the overall level of quality is usually way higher (in the general, every-day-life product range) in Germany, it is neither true for everything nor does it make sense in every way. In general, I guess if more people would learn to judge stuff based on its properties and usability, instead of just getting more and more getting better and better stuff would be a real option. As it is now, we have to work our way through all the ads painfully.. and sometimes hit gold, or a group of people that has knowledge and can share valuable information, probably and hopefully preventing failure in a buying decision.. haha. If more comp's would love their customers more than themselves, that would make it easier, too. but these tend to go out of business for other reasons as well.. so be it.

Let us know how your Palm works out for you in any event!

--

Arby
B-Nutzer

09.04.2013 20:13

Thanks for the additional info, guys. I appreciate it.

I have far more in common with you than I do my average fellow American...but that's another topic. :-)

Re the Green Jacket, my biggest issue is the shelf and hand warmer pockets. I figure the more places my hands can slide under, the more places a tree branch can too. I've seen a lot of weird snags happen on the river so try to minimize my potential. I also like simple things and the Euro PFDs seem to be simple and clean.

Re the AMP, the protruding pocket was my only reservation with it. However, I typically carry no more than a small camera, couple of small plastic pulleys, couple smallish carabiners, a small pruning saw, and knife. With that amount of stuff, maybe the pocket wouldn't protrude too much.?

Mahyongg
Schwimmkopf

09.04.2013 20:33

I have no Idea how much fits into that pocket. That said, in my PFD with one front pocket I stuff a full set of two biners, two pulleys, two prussik cords and a 120 cm dyneema sling.. plus a cliff bar or two. It doesn't protrude in a way that I think it's worse than the PFD alone and I guess it will be better with the AMP because it seems to have a bigger / more pockets. If that wasn't the only pocket on mine.. :/

--

The_Great_Gonzo
Brother

09.04.2013 21:24

I am not sure what you mean with handwarmer pockets on the Green Jacket, mine doesn't have any, only a pocket for the Astral Throw bag (which make it way too bulky and is IMHO too small to be really useful), but I found that, as long as all the straps are snugged up, it's as clean and lower profile than most other PFD's. If your hand can slide in between the panels on the Green, then it's not snug enough. Sadly enough it seems to have becoe fashionable these days to paddle with only the side straps of the pfd tightened and the shoulde and torso ones loose, which definitely created a snag hazard on any PFD.
I am , due to a shoulder injury, a little handicapped when it comes to reentering rafts and I need all the help I can get there from my equipment. And the Green is still the best for me. The first thing I do when evaluating a PFD is a raft reentry test with all my safety gear in my PFD. If the PFD fails that, I will no longer consider it.
The amount of gear you are carrying in your packet does not sound excessive to me. I personally carry more, particularly safety gear. I do firmly believe that the rescue gear belongs on the paddler and not in the boat at all times. So if it does not properly fit the pocket or if it does hinder me, then it does not mean that I have too much stuff on me but rather that the design of the PFD is lacking. That said, I have not yet found a PFD I am really 100% happy with. I probably never will...
The only suggestion I have is to maybe get a knife that is attached to the outside of the PFD. My NRS Pilot knife is attached to my shoulder strap, out of the way for raft reentries, but always withing reach. I believe that, in an emergency, the knife needs to be easily accessible without having to open any pockets and without having to fold it open. The NRS pilot is almost perfect, it has a very secure mecanism that releases easily when reached for, yet almost certainly precludes accidental release of the knife.

TGG!

Arby
B-Nutzer

09.04.2013 23:38

TGG,

To see the pockets I'm referring to, see this vid at about 6:00: http://vimeo.com/47171429

My closest paddling partner has a Green Jacket so I've looked at it many times. I can really appreciate the thought that went in to it. There's just too many things going on with it for my tastes. I definitely understand what you're saying about the rest of the stuff though.

Navigation
 Sprung  
Xobor Erstelle ein eigenes Forum mit Xobor
Datenschutz